Using Portable Storage For Your Move
Portable storage is a growing market in the moving business. A container is dropped off where you live, you pack it, and the company drives it to your new location where you then unpack it.
There are many advantages to using portable storage for your move:
- You can pack your container at your own pace. Depending on the company you choose, you’ll have between a few days to an unlimited amount of time to pack and unpack your container.
- You also have the option of storing the container until your new home is ready. Logistics of any move, particularly a long distance one, may require some time between when you leave your old home and when you can move into your new one. Having the container temporarily placed at a friend or neighbor’s house, or the moving company’s storage location, solves this problem.
- You’ll be more careful with your belongings than anyone else would be. Since you still have the option to purchase all of the packing and moving materials you need, you can do as good a job as a full service mover.
- You don’t have to drive a truck. The container is picked up from your location and transported by the company. In most cases, your estimate will include fuel charges so you’ll know the total cost up front.
- Portable storage tends to be less expensive than traditional moving companies. You’ll trade cost for convenience, since you’ll be doing more of the work yourself, but that’s an easy decision for many people.
There are a few downsides as well:
- You’re not a mover and you still have to pack. While this is also true if you rented a truck, using the expertise, and muscle power, of a moving company makes any move much easier on you. My least stressful move involved a full-service mover that handled everything, including packing. Such service is expensive, but makes sense in certain cases.
- Leaving your possessions in a storage container outside of your home poses a risk of theft as well. With all of the stress of moving, you may be too distracted to notice that your half-packed container is a favorite target of thieves.
The circumstances of your move will dictate the best option for you. In many cases, portable storage offers the best combination of cost and convenience. It is certainly worth looking into when you are evaluating your moving options. A five-minute investment of your time can provide a quote for portable storage that can then be compared to your alternative solutions.
Friday, August 15th, 2008 at 10:55 am